PM's Big DrawsThis year's educational seminars, dubbed ISH Academy, were arranged in six industry specific tracks: Kitchen & Bath; Plumbing; HVAC; Hydronics; Business Management & Marketing; and Environmental Systems.
Of the 54 separate sessions, PM columnists led two of the three most popular sessions. Ellen Rohr lead “Easy Money: How to Stop Doing the Things that Keep You from Being Successful,” and Julius Ballanco presented “Major Code Revisions on Drainage and Venting.” Meanwhile, radiant contractor Paul Pollets led the third most popular session, “European Heating Technologies: Utilizing Euro Design and Products in North America.”
New ProductsNinety-eight new products competed in the New Product Showcase in eight categories. The best overall product was the Climastar, a portable electric radiant heater from Spain. Other winners included the following:
• Kitchen and Bath: Aquanotion, “Two Flush”
• Plumbing and Piping: Elkay, “Swirlflo Water Cooler”
• Heating and Ventilation: Uponor Wirsbo, “Wirsbo proPANEL Series”
• Software and Electronic Equipment: Accubid Systems, “Pocket Change Order”
• Industrial Products: O'Brien Manufacturing, “Intel-A-Count/OBJ-2430 E”
• Tools and Equipment: Bennette Design Group, “Plumbers Pad”
• Air Conditioning/Refrigeration: EZ Trap, “Model 150 'Ultratrap' Waterless Trap”
Apprenticeship CompetitionThe PHCC-National Association held its International Apprenticeship Contest inside the exhibit hall. Scholarships were given to the top three apprentices who assembled a three-piece bathroom, including toilet, sink and shower, as well as water, drain waste and vent line:
• First Place: Sergio Ibarra, California
• Second Place: Manuel Oroz, Nevada
• Third Place: Robert Ciesla, New Jersey
European ImportsThe show also included two exhibits that have been part of past ISH Frankfurt events. A SmartHouse exhibit offered a glimpse at how various “smart” devices can be networked into providing an automated living space. The Design Plus displayed products that won top honors at ISH Frankfurt, held earlier this year.
ISH North America returns to the newly constructed Boston Convention & Exhibition Center on October 14-16, 2004. For show information, contact Neil Stalker, show manager at 770/984.8016, ext. 419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report Abusive Comment