The Nexstar Legacy Foundation recently announced its 2011-2012 scholarship award winners. Nine students out of 109 applicants have been awarded scholarships ranging from $1,000-$6,000 to pursue education in preparation for careers within the plumbing, HVAC and electrical industry.
“The mission of the Nexstar Legacy Foundation is to give back to an industry that has been so good to us,” said Foundation President Bill Raymond of Frank & Lindy Plumbing & Heating Service Co. of Peekskill, New York.
Each year, $20,000 in scholarships is awarded to students based upon merit, chosen by a scholarship selection committee comprised of industry leaders both inside, and outside of, the Nexstar Network. Since its inception, the Nexstar Legacy Foundation has awarded $105,000 in scholarship grants.
The scholarship program is the major gifting program of the Nexstar Legacy Foundation, which annually gifts double the federal requirement.
The largest annual award is the Frank Blau Jr. Award of $6,000, awarded to a student who is enrolled in a four-year program with the intent of working in the industry. This year’s winner is Sarah Masters of Allendale, N.J., who study mechanical engineering at the University of Delaware.
The remaining eight scholarship winners are:
- Derek Ascherin (Mitchell, S.D.) - $2,000 to attend Western Dakota Tech; electrical technician.
- Cody Cannon (Morris, Minn.) - $2,000 to attend Minnesota West Technical College; electrical technician.
- Evan Dukart (Wibaux, N.D.) - $1,000 to attend North Dakota State College of Science.
- Toby Keller (Veedersburg, Ind.) - $1,000 to attend University of Northwestern Ohio; HVAC technician.
- Nicholas Krenz (St. Croix Falls, Wis.) - $1,000 to attend Dunwoody College of Technology; electrical technician.
- George Pankowicz (Oxford, Pa.) - $2,000 to attend Thaddeus Stevens College of Tech; plumbing technician.
- Vincent Romano (South Amboy, N.J.) - $2,000 to attend Lincoln Technical Institute; HVAC technician.
- Graham Thurber (Topeka, Kan.) - $3,000 to attend Washburn University; business administration.