For Nasty JobsFor all the drain-cleaning techs out there: Ever had to cable a main through a pulled toilet in a commercial establishment? Or cable a urinal line? Hate the mess it makes?
Solution: The arm that attaches the Flushometer body with the angle stop. Take that off and attach a ball valve to it. Then connect washing machine supply hoses to it.
This allows you to wash down the floor from when the main backed up, or to hose down your cable when you're pulling it back from that nasty urinal line.
Slow CookerDoes your solder flux get frozen stiff on those cold days while running copper waterlines? Struggle no longer! Place your flux jar in a small crock pot, and in minutes, the flux is soft and workable. This works great and is safe because the crock pot will not overheat the flux container.
Eric BrubakerandLuke Hainline
Sarver Plumbing Inc.
Removing FlangeWhen replacing a cast-iron toilet flange, I use a metal drill bit and drill holes all around the old lead. Then I take a screwdriver to pry the old lead out of the flange. This makes the flange come off easy.
Andy’s Plumbing & Heating
Send Us Your Tool TipsIf you have an idea that has saved you time and money,Plumbing & Mechanicalwould like to share your tip with our readers. You can e-mail your idea directly toPMeditor Steve Smith email@example.com, or mail it to him c/o PM, 1050 IL Route 83, Suite 200, Bensenville, IL 60106.
Our first-place winner will receive the followingRIDGID® Prize Package, consisting of eight professional hand tools with a retail value of $200:
- 18-inch HD RAPIDGRIP™ Self-Adjusting Wrenches for easy, one-hand operation.
- One-Stop™ Wrench, a compound tool for installing compression couplings.
- 10-inch Wide-Mouth Adjustable Wrench featuring tapered jaws for tight areas.
- 10 1/2-inch Plumber’s Tongue-and-Groove Pliers with extra-wide openings.
- No. 117 Midget Tubing Cutter for use in confined areas.
- No. 151 Quick-Acting Tubing Cutter for smoother operation.
- 6-in-1 Multi-Purpose Screwdriver with two Phillips heads, two flat heads and two nut drivers.
- No. 395 Nightshade Torpedo Level for general use and work in tight and/or dark areas.