Last summer, theMetropolitan Builders Association, a non-for-profit trade association in Wisconsin, contracted withHerr Environmental Inc.of Delafield, Wis., to install an innovative rainwater system in the Association’s Trend Home in Waukesha. The environmentally mindful Trend Home is a specially designed house that incorporates sustainable technologies that are assumed to be common in the year 2020.
TheTrend Home’s rainwater system is designed to capture rainwater from the roof and provide water for the lawn sprinkling system. The roof has a potential to generate more than 30,000 gallons of water during any year of average rainfall.
The Trend Home showcases numerous “Green” solutions and meets 10 critical elements of energy efficiency:
- 1. Green Built Home Certification
2. Wisconsin Energy Star Homes Certification with emerging technologies like solar power
3. Water sense – including fixtures and landscaping
4. Grey water reuse
5. Universal design
6. Smart Home features
7. Higher indoor air quality
8. Permeable pavement
9. Emphasis on recycling and recycled materials
10. Affordable, smaller size construction
In addition to the Goulds Model 1SC pump, the Trend Home’s Rainwater system also uses an efficient Goulds variable speed drive pump controller, and a Goulds HydroPro V6P pressure tank. “Our company has used Goulds Pumps exclusively for many years,” saidTodd Stair, vice president of Herr Environmental Inc. “Now with the new rainwater systems, the line of Goulds products we are using is expanding.”
Following six weeks of public tours, the Trend Home is currently for sale. Once sold, $200,000 will be donated to LaCasa de Esperenza, an organization that will train low-income workers in the construction industry. The remainder of the money will go to the Wisconsin Builders Association Foundation’s scholarship fund to attract high quality students to a career in the trades.
The Trend Home features permeable pavement and other water science technologies that will preserve water resources. The home was constructed utilizing structured insulated panels, a tempered passive solar orientation, solar electrical generation, solar hot water heating, Energy Star appliances, computer operated mechanicals, special windows and other building components.
At the heart of the rainwater system is the durable Goulds Pumps Model 1SC submersible water pump which features:
- Corrosion-resistant case made of non-toxic, non-leaching materials
- Impeller made of FDA compliant, glass-filled Noryl® which is corrosion and abrasion resistant
- Mechanical seal with silicon/carbide sealing faces and stainless steel metal components running in a protected oil chamber
- Stainless-steel pump shaft and motor shell.
- 1 ¼-inch NPT vertical discharge connection and detachable suction strainer for easy clean out