Tool Tips ― October 2008
This is an easy way for one person to anchor a hose spray on a kitchen faucet. Put putty on the base flange of the spray hose holder, and set the flange in place. Place an extra 1 1/4-inch plastic nut over the threaded shank, but above the plastic nut already provided for the spray hose. Lock in the spray hose plastic nut. Any excess putty will go into the extra 1 1/4-inch plastic nut, cutting down on chances of a leak. It is also easier to tighten the provided nut with the basin wrench. You only need one person to do the job this way.
Albert Sciulli Plumbing & Heating
Don’t Be A Dope
Sometimes there’s a need to do some drilling through steel on the job. Everyone knows drill bits don’t last very long without a little oil. If you ever find yourself without any oil, I know you must have some pipe dope. It has enough of an oil base that will sufficiently lubricate the drill bit and save wear and tear.
Yoder Plumbing & Heating Inc.
When looking for gas leaks, I ran out of leak detector. Windex, Palmolive and other similar soaps are corrosive to metals. I found children’s bubbles to be very sensitive, even for detecting the smallest leaks. It is also noncorrosive, nontoxic and inexpensive.
Camp Shira Plumbing
Send Us Your Tool Tips!If you have an idea that has saved you time and money, Plumbing & Mechanical would like to share your tip with our readers. You can e-mail your idea directly to PM editor Steve Smith, or mail it to him c/o PM, 1050 IL Route 83, Suite 200, Bensenville, IL 60106.
Our first-place winner will receive the following RIDGID® Prize Package, consisting of eight professional hand tools with a retail value of $200:
- 18-inch HD RAPIDGRIP™ Self-Adjusting Wrenches for easy, one-hand operation.
- One-Stop™ Wrench, a compound tool for installing compression couplings.
- 10-inch Wide-Mouth Adjustable Wrench featuring tapered jaws for tight areas.
- 10 1/2-inch Plumber’s Tongue-and-Groove Pliers with extra-wide openings.
- No. 117 Midget Tubing Cutter for use in confined areas.
- No. 151 Quick-Acting Tubing Cutter for smoother operation.
- 6-in-1 Multi-Purpose Screwdriver with two Phillips heads, two flat heads and two nut drivers.
- No. 395 Nightshade Torpedo Level for general use and work in tight and/or dark areas.