PHCC’s 125th Anniversary is about more than celebrating the past. Also being celebrated is PHCC’s track record of adapting to and initiating change, and actually creating the future.
plumbing-heating-cooling industry of today bears little resemblance to the
industry of 125 years ago. Throughout the decades, PHCC and its constituents
have had to adapt continually to new materials and trade skills, to new
technologies, to new ways of doing business. Consider some of the profound
changes that have occurred since the association’s beginning:
iron and galvanized steel piping have been
replaced in many applications by first copper, then plastics.
- Hydronic heating was surpassed by warm air heating and cooling for many years;
now it is on the comeback trail in the form of sub-floor radiant heating.
- Modern electronics has made its way into plumbing products, tools and equipment.
- Distribution channels have proliferated.
- Social and economic upheavals have occurred, including two global wars, the
Great Depression and today’s war on terror.
- Inventions ranging from the telephone to air travel to automobiles, radio and
TV did not exist or were in seminal form when PHCC was started. Now they
profoundly shape the world we live in - including the businesses of PHC
construction and plumbing marketplaces have gone from predominantly union to
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was formed to oversee regulations and standards covering water conservation, lead abatement and other issues of concern to the plumbing industry. PHCC has been in the forefront of lobbying efforts to shape ideal EPA regulations and comply with them.
Throughout its history, PHCC has shown the flexibility to keep pace with the changes and upheavals. At the same time, the organization has never compromised its core mission to promote professionalism and protect public health and safety and the environment.
Many future challenges are unforeseen. Others reflect trends that are already underway in this first decade of the 21st century. PHCC already is developing programs and positions to benefit members in coping with the great issues of our time. These include:
Professionalism Means Being Ready For Anything: Nobody can foretell what new technologies and social or economic trends may come our way in the years and decades ahead. Nonetheless, judging from the past, it is clear that members of PHCC stand ahead of the pack in being situated to anticipate and adapt to whatever the future may bring.
PHCC stands for professionalism. Professionalism means being ready for anything that may come our way.
Report Abusive Comment