Right At Hand
While upside-down working on a sink, many aggravating moments looking for a wrench and other tools can be eliminated. Simply tie heavy-duty rubber bands on the tools and string the rubber bands through a bungee cord. Then, hook the bungee on the hot- and cold-water valves. Everything is at hand and stretches to where it needs to be.
The Hang(er) Of It
The most useful Tool Tip I have ever found is the wire hanger:
- By cutting the hanger and bending the tip to the shape of an “L” you can use it to pull out the springs and seats of a Delta faucet and reinstall them. Turn the hook over and use the straight end to guide back into the seats.
- A wire hanger can also be used to hold matches in order to light a pilot that you are not able to reach.
- Bend it to a “J” hook and you can retrieve lost trip lever buckets from a tub drain.
- It can be used (temporarily) to hold a pipe in place.
- Keep the hanger pretty long and make a “J” hook so it can be put down the shower or sink drain to retrieve clods of hair before using your electric snake. It will save time and effort cleaning your snake afterward.
Camp Shira Plumbing
Easier To Open
When opening a new can of glue for ABS or PVC pipe, I always put waterproof grease on the threads of the can and also on the threads of the cover. That way it will always open a lot easier.
Blue Earth, Minn.
Send Us Your Tool TipsIf you have an idea that has saved you time and money, Plumbing & Mechanical would like to share your tip with our readers. You can e-mail your idea directly to PM editor Steve Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to him c/o PM, 1050 IL Route 83, Suite 200, Bensenville, IL 60106.
Our first-place winner will receive the following from Ridge Tool Co. The RIDGID® Prize Package consists of eight professional hand tools and has a $200 total value:
- 14-inch and 18-inch HD RAPIDGRIP™ Self-Adjusting Wrenches for easy, one-hand operation.
- One-Stop™ Wrench, a compound tool for installing compression couplings.
- 10-inch Wide-Mouth Adjustable Wrench featuring tapered jaws for tight areas.
- 10 1/2-inch Plumber's Tongue-and-Groove Pliers with extra-wide opening jaws.
- No. 117 Midget Tubing Cutter for use in confined areas.
- No. 151 Quick-Acting Tubing Cutter for smoother operation.
- 6-in-1 Multi-Purpose Screwdriver with two Phillips heads, two flat heads and two nut drivers.
Ridge Tool Company is the sponsor of Tool Tips and does not necessarily endorse the readers' submissions.