“We picked key growth markets for Moen,” said David Lingafelter, vice president/marketing and product development. Moen brought its show to Seattle; Denver; Houston; Dallas; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Atlanta; Chicago; Baltimore; San Francisco; San Diego; Phoenix; and Charlotte, N.C.
The manufacturer conducted three shows per city: one for wholesalers, one for builders and one for plumbing contractors. About 100 wholesalers, 50 to 75 builders and 50 to 75 plumbing contractors attended the event in each city, said Ginny Long, director of public affairs at Moen Inc. The manufacturer did another 30 to 40 regional in January.
This was the first road show Moen has done in the United States, but it has been doing this type of show in Canada for 15 years, Long said. In Canada Moen spends about three months doing about 24 road shows every other year.
The road show is intended to encourage builders to specify Moen’s faucets and to make sure wholesalers are carrying the faucets so the builders can find them, Lingafelter said. Moen stresses upgrades and selling up to wholesalers; with plumbing contractors, the focus is more on installation.
The products are transported in trucks, in plan-o-grammed displays with special lighting. The displays include accessories from Moen’s sister division, Creative Specialties International.
Here are a few of the products displayed in the road show:
- The Aberdeen™ pulldown kitchen faucet, with a pause button to stop the water flow so the consumer can use it outside of the sink basin. Moen’s research revealed that people want to go outside the sink to water a plant or fill a pot.
- Accessories, such as a cutting board with built-in colander, to complement MoenStone® granite sinks.
- The Aberdeen kitchen faucet with a Hydrolock™ installation system that snaps together with a click sound to indicate the connection is secure.
- Expansion of the M-PACT® common valve system for easy changes of the faucet trim, now also available both on the traditional looking Castleby™ line of faucets and the centerset version of the Asceri™ faucet.
- Two new finishes: wrought iron and LifeShine® brushed nickel.
- A Butler faucet that offers a separate line for cold drinking water.