Yoga And Business
I love yoga! It has been life-altering, both physically and mentally.
One day as I was stretching out in class, the teacher was talking about some different philosophies. One of the things she mentioned is that if you set goals and have actions attached to them - but you never seem to reach those goals - the step you might be missing is belief.
An illustration would be if you're a heavy person, like me, and you have the goal of losing weight. You know all of the actions - eat right, eat smaller portions and exercise more often. But if you don't believe that you're a thin person - if you believe that you'll always be a heavy person - your weight is never going to change. So what we need is to tie together our goals (what we want to achieve) with what we really believe, and make sure that what we believe is in sync with our goals. Then we need to take the appropriate actions that will make those goals a reality.
To get started, I recommend you create a Goal/Beliefs/Actions plan for both your business and your personal life.
Here is my plan for my personal life:
Goal: A Healthy MindBeliefs:
- 1. “As I feel, so shall I do.” So, I want to choose to feel good about myself and my choices and stay positive.
- 2. A healthy mind allows me to achieve my best in all my other goals.
- 3. A healthy mind allows me to enjoy fully what I have in my life today and to pursue aggressively what I want in the future.
- 1. Continue to work hard on my business throughout this year.
- 2. Read to increase my knowledge and exposure to the world.
- 3. Focus more on the process.
- 4. Practice yoga's breathing techniques; incorporate the relaxation techniques and the positive outlook.
- 5. Attend classes and seminars.
- 6. Continue to attend museums and visit cultural venues.
- 7. Increase my patience.
- 8. Increase my ability to follow my own agenda.
- 9. Increase my ability to focus on the cause vs. the symptom.
- 10. Identify what I am and am not able to control, and learn to accept them both accordingly.
And here is my plan for my professional life:
Goal: Creating A Successful BusinessBeliefs:
- 1. What I offer has great value. This is based on my own experience using these business systems and disciplines. Plus, I have knowledge of how it has worked for others I work with.
- 2. I want to share this knowledge and I'm the right person.
- 3. I love training and consulting with others.
- 4. I love learning more about how business works.
1. New Products:
- a. Release the four Power Packs! in 2006.
- b. Offer all four Power Workshops in 2006.
- a. Direct my services to home-service businesses/contractors and to organizations and manufacturers that sell to my target audience.
- b. Continue to get published in magazines such as PM.
- c. Obtain news release from the magazine editors.
- d. Get the right customers to the Web site.
- e. Increase my existing contacts for a direct mail and e-mail notification campaign.
- f. Create brochure materials that will be similar to what is on the Web site.
- g. Make good use of my existing testimonials and the future ones I get.
- h. Network with industry people and organizations.
- i. Use my clear Mission/Position/ End Game statements to direct Appleseed.
Focus, Focus, FocusYoga has also taught me that to get the results we desire, we must focus intently on the process. Each yoga session begins with the teacher instructing us to set an intention for this class. In other words, what are we hoping to come away with when the class is finished?
The need to set your intention is vital for you as you come to work each day. What are you intending to do today to make the day worthwhile? This helps improve the day-to-day operations of your business.
The next big step is to take a longer view and set your intentions for your business long-term. To do that, I recommend you also create your Mission/ Position/End Game statements for your business.
Here are mine:
- Mission Statement - Helping to make your life as a contractor less stressful and more successful.
- Position Statement - To be the recognized expert in providing proven business systems and solutions to the contractor.
- End Game Statement - To be honoring my commitment to the “10 Golden Rules for My Business” while delivering proven business systems and solutions.
I will be holding my workshops primarily in the Phoenix and New York areas during the year. I'll only be available to a select number of customers who want me to consult with them. The consulting will be done primarily by phone and e-mail. I will also visit them twice a year.
I will have identified a minimum of two contractors that have completed my programs, implemented these systems and are positive examples of how it can change things for the better. These people will be the new “missionaries” for Appleseed. And, they will be the eventual caretakers of the company.
Do these exercises and feel the benefits in 2006 of achieving a focused mind that changes both your personal life and your business for the better.
Have a happy and healthy New Year!