Today, March 11, is World Plumbing Day. It is a day dedicated to broadcasting the message worldwide that clean water is not a luxury - it is vital to the health of all nations. We are in the middle of the International Decade of Action “Water for Life,” established by the United Nations in 2005. According to the World Plumbing Council , preventable diseases related to water and sanitation claim the lives of about 3.1 million people per year, most of them children less than 5 years old. Of these, about 1.6 million people die each year of diarrheal diseases associated with lack of safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
What can you do to promote this message in your community beyond today? You can adapt ideas from these North American industry organizations:
Watch Canada’s DS Plumbing and its mobile toilet!
Other activity ideas at the World Plumbing Day Web site (www.worldplumbingday.com) are:
- Have a special promotion to alert customers to the importance of the day.
- Partner with wholesalers and manufacturers to orchestrate a joint promotional activity related to World Plumbing Day.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper regarding the state of world plumbing or contact your local news station.
- Promote your company’s “green” role in your community.
- Schedule talks at your local schools to educate students on the importance of clean water for everyone.
- Partner with colleges and universities on a joint plumbing activity.
Fix Those LeaksWater conservation is the topic during Fix A Leak Week, March 14-20. Fix a Leak Week is celebrated in March of each year as a time to remind Americans to check their household fixtures and irrigation systems for leaks. The Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors-National Association is just one industry group that is promoting this event to its members. What is your local association doing? And how are you becoming involved? Not only will this program help save water in your community, it will help your customers save money on their water bills. And that kind of positive PR is great for your company.
The facts on leaks, according to the EPA:
What will you be doing to help save water in your community during Fix A Leak Week?
To view a podcast on Fix A Leak Week, click here.