Get The Lead Out Plumbing Consortium conducts educational webinar
On January 16, 2013 the Get The Lead Out Plumbing Consortium launched its industry-wide training initiative with a free webinar attended by more than 300 industry professionals. In keeping with the consortium’s mission to provide widespread education about the manufacture, distribution and installation of lead-free* plumbing products to contractors, distributors, plumbing engineers and code officials, the presentation helped to further the understanding of the federal “Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act” which becomes effective January 4, 2014.
The webinar was sponsored by the PHCC Educational Foundation and covered five major topics:
- the new lead-free law and its background,
- interpretation issues relevant to the law,
- manufacturing issues surrounding the development of new lead-free products,
- installation considerations and
- preparing for implementation of the law.
“It was gratifying to see such a large cross-section of the plumbing industry join us for the webinar,” said Cindy Sheridan, chief operating officer of the PHCC Educational Foundation. “Education and understanding are critical to help insure a smooth transition to the use of lead free products by January 4, 2014.”
In celebration of its first event, the consortium awarded one lucky attendee an Apple iPad. Hugh R. Haire Jr. from Haire Plumbing and Mechanical in Fayetteville, N.C., was announced as the winner.
A recording of the webinar and a copy of the presentation are available on the consortium’s website along with a list of upcoming training sessions. Each session will be conducted by consortium members at industry events throughout 2013.
* Lead Free refers to the wetted surface of pipe, fittings and fixtures in potable water systems that have a weighted average <=0.25% per the Safe Drinking Water Act (Sec. 1417) amended 1-4-2011 and other equivalent state regulations.